Undervisningsopplegg engelsk 8-10
Et undervisningsopplegg om #BlackLivesMatter med utgangspunkt hendelsen i USA 25. mai 2020 og reaksjonene som har oppstått i etterkant.
Opplegget passer for elever på ungdomstrinnet.
- Describe what you see on this banner. Why do you think “America” is misspelled on the banner? What do you think the message is?
- Watch the clip from 2 minutes and 55 seconds to 6 minutes and 25 seconds: https://youtu.be/5hv85Tbt2ic
This is from the briefing of the New York governor Andrew Mark Cuomo on the 31st of May 2020. Cuomo mentions several names of African Americans who have been victims of racism the last three months and up to 30 years back. Identify the names and find out more about three of them. Were they victims of police brutality, injustice or racist murders? Were the murderers charged and convicted?
- “The real issue is the continuing racism in this country and it is chronic and it is endemic and it is institutional and it speaks to a collective hypocrisy. We’re very good in this country at telling other people how they should live their lives and how they should act, but we still discriminate on the basis of color of skin. That is the simple, painful truth – but this is a moment for truth.”
This is a quote from the governor’s briefing. How does he argue for why he thinks they (The USA) “still discriminate on the basis of color of skin”?
- How does governor Cuomo argue against the use of violence in the current protests and riots?
- Could you mention examples of discrimination against African Americans in the USA from the segregation period, which led to The Civil Rights Movement in the 1950s and the ‘60s?
People are protesting in Miami, Florida, May 2020.